Why the art part, if the app is a snap?
Welcome to Episode Forty Seven of Hiyaa!! THE Martial Arts Podcast – The Pop(you in the nose)Art Show
Bruce and Allen join Dave in the Lounge to see if they can answer the age old question “Who needs the arty bits?”
So grab your 5 fists AND your 5 excellencies and give us a hearing!
Links to more information about some of the things we mention during the show. BTW…Blue = Video!
In the Opening
News, News, News
In the Discussion
- Thanks to listener Jay Wilson for today’s topic – What is the value of the ‘art’ part of a system?
- Jay’s ideas for a Term for Hiyaa listeners
- Captain William Fairbairn
- Kelly Yeaton
- Kano Jigoro
- Funakoshi Gichin
- Hung I Hsiang
- Danny Emrick in Tallahassee
- Allen Pittman
Topics & Things
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Importance of application
- Body types in various martial arts
- Importance of Body Type/development
- Ancient Greek Pyrrhic Dance
- Shadow boxing
- Rites of passage
- Let Your Freak Flag Fly (out of context video, but it’s cool)
- Martial Arts have an underlying theme that is the ‘flavor’ of the art
- Chin Na
- Goju Ryu Karate
- The original goal of martial arts was to prepare for war.
- Training partners vs training objects.
- Three part training – Form, two man and auxiallary implements.
- Type of students – Invidualizer vs Preserver.
- Muay Thai
- Having the presence of mind to show the right student the right thing at the right time.
- The ‘Art’ can be different than the origin depending on the purpose of what is being taught.
- The Craft of the ‘Art’ vs Teaching the ‘Art’.