In this episode, we delve into that slippery slope of public sparring groups in the martial arts, that ever-present question of what Internal means and then we round it out with a dive into the mailbag.
Welcome to Episode Fifty Two of Hiyaa!! THE Martial Arts Podcast – The "Wait, didn’t he record this back in April?" Show.
Join Dave and Bruce as they bat around several topics while Dave gets drunk and drops a few F-bombs.
So if you ever wondered about boneless chicken ballistics, this could be the show for you!
Sparring Groups & What is Internal?
Links to more information about some of the things we mention during the show. BTW…Blue = Video! 🙂
In the Opening
In the Discussion
Topics & Things
- Push Hands
- What to do when joining a public sparring group
- Keep it friendly
- Agree to the rules – Have a conversation before you cross hands
- Listerine is your friend
- Don’t be the guy who corrects everybody
- You have to be honest with yourself and your partner
- Don’t show up trying to prove something – it’s not a contest
- Xing Yi Quan
- Ba Gua Zhang
- Checking the oil
- What does it mean to practice an internal art?
- Relatively new distinction
- Is it marketing?
- Does it involve Qi, if so, what is Qi?
- Positioning vs athleticism
- Golden Bell
- Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan
- Northern Shaolin
- Ling Kong Jing
- A question from Judah regarding Shaolin-Do
- It is not the lineage that is important, it is the teacher and the training.
- In the end, all martial artists are self taught